Monday Matters: Harry Potter

Whew! I have been traveling and with guests this month. I re-read my list of books to read and hmmm, I have to tell you I am a little scared.  I have been reading, just not the books listed.

I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallowsyesterday. This was after picking up my book on Saturday morning. I literally spent Saturday either napping or reading. I got up and went to Sunday service, where someone kindly informed me about Harry.  It only confirmed the feeling I had after reading the first half of the book. But still, I hate when people do that. 

I parked myself outside in my favorite reading chair and read until the finish.  It was overcast so I didn’t realize until later that afternoon how sunburned my shins got. 

I am pleased with the final chapter of the Harry Potter series. It was intense and filled with enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.  The thing I am most pleased about is that it will be on the library shelf for my school. I always worried that the last installment might be too old for elementary school.  But Rowling has written a story which can be enjoyed on many different levels.

I am so glad that this summer I have listened to almost all the previous books. (I skipped book 5 and saw the movie instead).  I was reminded of many things I had forgotten over the years, particularly the complexity of the Tri Wizard tournament in book four.  I will be finishing book six and then listen to book seven. I really like Jim Dale’s reading of the series.

My aunt was visiting just before the release. We discussed the impact that this series has had on kids and reading.  Kids age eight when first starting to read Harry Potter, are now the same age as Harry. They are on the brink of adulthood.  For many, this is the book that made a significant impact on their reading life.  Island of the Blue Dolphinsand the Tolkein trilogy did that for me.

What books impacted you?  Happy Reading.

MsMac

4 thoughts on “Monday Matters: Harry Potter

1. Wow. So many books impacted me. I would have to say especially … Anne of Green Gables, A Little Princess, A Wrinkle in Time, and The Velvet Room (Zilpha Keatley Snyder). But I could keep going, and list dozens. It will be interesting to see, 20 years from now, what the kids who grew up with Harry Potter think.

2. Jone,

Thanks for doing the poetry Friday roundup. I’m leaving my links here because I have to leave early this morning for a children’s literature institute.

At Wild Rose Reader I have a fairy tale poem entitled “Immortality” by Lisel Mueller.

http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2007/07/
    poetry-friday-fairy-tale-poem.html

At Blue Rose Girl I have a poem by Gail Mazur entitled “Baseball.”

http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/2007/07/poetry-friday-baseball.html

3. The Story of Ferdinand (Munro Leaf) – The book my sister used when she taught me to read.

The Sinking of the Bismarck (William L Shirer) – Part of the old Landmark Books series, this was the book that really got me interested in WW II, a love that spread to history in general. (The USCW centennial and WWI sesquitennial, which were happening at the time, also helped.)

The People That Time Forgot, and Thuvia, Maid of Mars (both by Edgar Rice Burroughs) – These two books were my first introduction to science fiction, my favourite variety of fiction.

(Blame it all on my sister. Not only did she teach me to read, when I was three years old, but she also subscribed to the Landmark Books for me, and bought the two ERB books – though I must admit that those were actually intended for hewr own consumption.)