Poetry Friday: A Challenge and an Invitation

I have been thinking of a question posed to me at my Tuesday poetry workshop: “Is there a core collection of poetry books that should be in every school library?”  Wow! That is a question and immediately my mind went to, who would be willing to agree to a core list of poetry books? I thought of the comment, “well, core list of poetry books, what next?  A core list of books for the library?”: What about the individual flair of each library?”

I feel challenged to create a list of poetry books that should be in every library (at appropriate levels of course). I actually hate lists. They are like sand dunes, ever shifting, changing. One book fits this year and not next year, books go out of print.  A book might  get left out. I hate being left out.

But in the interest in answering the question and in the interest is sharing with my colleagues, I am creating a list of the top 100 poetry books for the library, for the moment, for this year. 

I invite you, reader, to submit the title of a poetry book that you believe should be in a core list.  Send me your comments and I will add to the list.  Will there be a 100 titles at the end of this project? It could be 25 for all libraries, 25 for elementary, 25 for middle school and 25 for high school perhaps. Let’s see where the titles fall.  Please let me know the level of your book.

Disclaimer:  I apologize for any book NOT listed in this intial 26 titles. They are in no means listed by any order.

Thank you goes to Kelly who is rounding up the Poetry Friday this week.

Happy Reading.

MsMac

8 thoughts on “Poetry Friday: A Challenge and an Invitation

1. Hi,
    I found your website via the Poetry Friday Roundup over at Big A little a. I wanted to add my 2 cents about a favorite poetry book: Days Like This collected by Simon James. The poems are unassuming and joyful, all from the perspective of a child. I especially love “The Seed” by Aileen Fisher, “Pink Azalea” by Charlotte Zolotow, and “The Wind Came Running” by Ivy O. Eastwick. I spent many lovely moments cuddling with my two children with these little gems.

2. I have five (sorry, but be impressed that I kept it under 10):
    You Read to Me, I’ll Read to You by Mary Ann Hoberman (all the books in this series)
    A Kick in the Head by Paul Janeczko
    Please bury me in the Library by J.Patrick Lewis (really, all his)
    Science Verse by Jon Scieszka
    Laugh-eteria by Douglas Florian (really, all his)

3. I second A Kick in the Head by Janeczko, and add “Seeing the Blue Between” from him as well.

Imaginary Menagerie by Julie Larios

Feathers by Eileen Spinelli

Jazz by Walter Dean Myers

Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo by Linda Sue Park

Mites to Mastodons by Maxine Kumin

Animal Poems by Valerie Worth

Autumnblings by Douglas Florian
    Comets, Stars, the Moon & Mars by Douglas Florian

A Pizza the Size of the Sun by Jack Prelutsky

I guess that was more than one, but they are ones I consider important/essential.

4. I had to come back, having thought of a couple more:

Got Geography!, ed. by Lee Bennett Hopkins
    America at War, ed. by Lee Bennett Hopkins