Tuesday Tidbits: It’s Coming-National Poetry Month

National Poetry Month is a week away. Here’s a sneak peak at what I will be doing as well as some great happenings in the kidlit world for National Poetry Month.

April is our state testing month so it is a great time for me to immerse students in poetry.  I will be sharing a variety of poems throughout the month, encouraging students to carry a poem in their pocket, and having them write, write, write.

Last year I tried a “Poetry Postcard Project“. Lots of fun.  I am holding the second annual “Write a Poem-Send a Postcard” event with my students.  Students will send off an original poem to people who would like to receive a poem. And we may just drop random poems around the school.  If you wish to receive a poetry postcard, contact me. 

I am committed to “30 Days=30 Poems”  This is my third year of setting this goal for myself.

Other Poetry News:

Tricia at The Miss Rumphius Effect has planned a poetry extravaganza. I hope I can keep up.  She is interview thirty plus poets over the month. Incredible!

Greg at Gotta Book is posting a previously unpublished poem from a variety of poets during the month.

Anastasia has created a blog for student poems about school.  You can find that at Pencil Talk.  Hopefully some of my students will write a poem about school so I can share it with Anastasia.

Sylvia at Poetry for Children will be talking up lots of poetry books throughout April.

It is going to be a grand month!

Happy Reading.

MsMac

7 thoughts on “Tuesday Tidbits: It’s Coming-National Poetry Month

1. Love the poetry postcard project and can’t wait to get mine.

And thanks for the link. I’m reallllllly looking forward to April!

2. Can you tell me more about your poetry postcard project? It sounds great and I would love to get one too!

3. Pingback: NaPoWriMo: Found Poem « Deo Writer